WHAT YOU NEED TO START UP A SEWING /FASHION BUSINESS
CLICK ON LINK TO SEE YOUTUBE VIDEO FOR MORE INFORMATION
Which skills have you developed, learnt or studied over the year, equipping you with knowledge in various areas that can support you to start your own business, until this point in your life right now?
KNOWLEDGE YOU HAVE GAINED OVER THE YEARS TO USE TO START YOUR BUSINESS.
Have knowledge on basic filing, compiling basic excel sheets for your business expenditure & income journals, system for your suppliers information, receipts and client information.
- Creating a mailing list building and growing your mailing list as your clientele grows.
- Ask yourself what other skills or experience have you gained over the years you can use and bring into your business to save money and time, you doing things yourself before you employ people for the job.
- Measurement charts to take measurements from clients for orders, alterations and so on.
- Terms & conditions for payments, delivery times, and other relevant information you want to share as T&C’s.
USING APPS TO CREATE YOUR ADVERTS
- Learn how to use Canva or Adobe illustrator to create your artwork for your adverts to advertise your wardrobe
- Or source an graphic designer to assist with your artwork and designs for your branding, you’re logo and you’re advertising.
Let’s say you have studied fashion design and you know how to make patterns, but do not know how to sew professionally yet.
You could make your patterns, grade your patterns, make patterns for orders,
SEWING / SEAMSTRESS
Look at hiring a part-time seamstress or full time seamstress as your business grows.
Or you can enrol in a sewing school to improve your sewing experience and confidence in sewing your orders.
- Which machines do you have already?
- Sewing machines (commercial or industrial)
- Overlockers (commercial or industrial)
- Cut n Scan machine
- Embroidery machines
- Electrical cutter
- Seam iron
CLARITY ON WHAT YOU WILL BE MAKING OR OFFERING
Some examples below
- Alterations to daywear
- Alterations to bridal wear
- Home decor
CLARITY ON YOUR TARGET MARKET
- Who will be your ideal clients
PLACE OF WORK
- Where will you be setting up your pattern drafting, sewing, cutting, layout of fabric, production?
- Where will you be having your clients try on garments / orders?
- YOU WILL NEED SPACE TO WORK IN
- YOU WILL NEED AN AREA FOR CLIENTS – to use to try on or come and see your collection, your products, etc.
- sewing kit, scissors, all the things you need to sew, cut out garments, sewing needles
- labels, size labels, your name labels, etc
- tables to work on
- size chart (if you making small collections)
MARKTETING / SOCIAL MEDIA
- Create a FB business profile
- Create an Instagram business profile
- Create your business profiles on other social platforms that you feel you will need to grow awareness for your services or products.